1. Education
Namiko Abe

Learning Japanese Through Anime

By March 9, 2011

Japanese anime is very popular and I've noticed that there are quite a few people who've decided to learn Japanese because of their love of anime (have a look at my language poll where I ask people about their motivation to study Japanese). The dialogue in anime is often very colloquial, so you probably won't find it in textbooks. "Japanese in Anime & Manga" is a fun site that can help you to learn expressions, which are used by typical anime characters (a boy, a girl, a scrapper, a samurai and so on). There are many quizzes and games available, too. I hope it will be useful for your studies.

Japanese translation

Comments

March 9, 2011 at 3:28 pm
(1) Nyu-chan says:

My favorite anime are Elfen Lied, Lucky Star, Vampire Knight, Ghost Hunt, MoonPhase, Karen, Peach Girl, Ganz, Perfect Blue, and Blood the Last Vampire. I also like Pet Shop of Horrors.

March 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm
(2) Roger says:

Certainly the anime was the primary reason and I used it as a tool among others like google translation, etc. but there are other reasons too, knowing about different and apparently distant cultures, and maybe, in the future, go to Japan. Unfortunately I haven’t found a lot of material in my own language (Spanish) but I speak a little bit of English so here I am. Thanks for your aid.

March 10, 2011 at 8:45 am
(3) Siri says:

Yeah! Anime was one of the reasons I got into Japanese and then from that, there was no turning back. Along with studying the language, I watch anime in Japanese regularly. It really helps me know about casual speech, so I think it’s a great resource!

Thanks for the link, the website is great!

March 11, 2011 at 1:03 am
(4) Kim says:

That’s true. Anime was the main reason I learn Japanese. But, after that I started to like the language and Japanese cultures. I love reading about Japanese histories. And somehow, anime is not the main reason anymore. I fell in love with the country itself. Thanks for this informative website. Doumo arigatou gozaimasu!

March 11, 2011 at 3:57 am
(5) Siri says:

I agree with Kim. Anime might have been the reason for starting to learn the language, but after that, the love for Japan itself grows. And then we start to learn new things about the culture and the life there.

March 14, 2011 at 1:29 am
(6) e says:

If you find Jewish trying to evacuate from Tokyo,it could mean another artificial earthquake

on Tokyo!

I do not discuss the detail for a while, but we can’t miss the fact that thousands of

Jewish people then working at World Trade Center twin buildings, for some reason, kept

themselves from the twin tower on that day when the 9/11 terrorist attack occurred, and none

of them were victimized from the tragedy.
Please notice us if you find your Jewish friends evacuate from the Tokyo metropolitan area.

Please make a lot of fuss on net. Our aim is to stop them from practicing their conspiracy,

to make them giving up their plan of attacking Tokyo with artificial earthquakes. We won’t

let them destroy Japan anymore!

Richard Koshimizu

March 14, 2011 at 4:00 am
(7) Yannis says:

Great link!Anyone out there who hasn’t watched Mononoke (not the movie) should definately give it a shot.I personally think it is one of the best ever made.

March 14, 2011 at 8:07 pm
(8) Krystyll says:

It’s true that anime is what got me interested in Japanese. But then again, I have always been fascinated with the country of Japan and its unique cultures. Anime has been a way for me to understand a lot, though obviously not everything. I love studying foreign languages and cultures and history. Thank you so much for all the helpful lessons and this link!

March 15, 2011 at 11:29 am
(9) Abdi Buzar says:

I have heard about a lot of people studying Japanese because they were really into Manga and Anime. But there must be a lot of other reasons to study Japanese –Japan is the second largest economy in the world after all so some Japanese learners might be less idealistic. This makes me wonder why people generally want to learn languages. What makes people study Romanian or Turkish translation (apart from those languages being their mother tongues)? I think it is a really good sign that people still opt for this idealistic option and thus discover not only a new languages but as well great cultures and amazing people.

March 18, 2011 at 1:57 pm
(10) Nekkyousha says:

Watching anime is my favorite way of studying Japanese! I like Bleach, Soul Eater, Fairy Tail, and a few others. It lets me listen to the speaking, and since it’s very every-day language used, it’s good practice, too.
Great link!

April 10, 2011 at 11:05 am
(11) bourge says:

yeah, I learned Japanese cause of watching so much ecchi anime. At first i try reading it in dictionary, then no wonder why i learned to write cause of this watching anime with no subs makes me easy to understand thanks a lot for the perverted anime^^

September 4, 2012 at 3:06 pm
(12) Garry says:

You are so interesting! I don’t think I’ve truly read
something like that before. So nice to discover someone
with original thoughts on this issue. Really.
. many thanks for starting this up. This site is one thing that
is required on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

January 18, 2013 at 6:26 am
(13) suresh says:

I love anime.. I started watching them last year when my friend told me about Death note. Then went on completing the whole bleach anime in a week, and almost closing to the current chapters of one piece… Even without my conscience, I ve been learning Japanese… I also use ‘arigato’ instead of ‘thanks’ sometimes.. Between its very similar in its slang to the colloqual languages of india….. I wish to spend a year or two in Japan for my research just to get to know the people and language better….. Not to mention all the Meshi……

May 27, 2013 at 9:29 am
(14) learn anime says:

I’m extremely impressed together with your writing talents and also with the layout for your weblog. Is that this a paid theme or did you customize it your self? Either way stay up the nice quality writing, it’s гаre tо
ѕee а nice blog like this one nοwadays.

Ϻy рage … learn anime