1. Education
Namiko Abe

Learning Kanji

By March 10, 2010

Have you started learning kanji? I recently created the, "Most Frequently Used Kanji" page, which lists 50 of the most frequently used kanji in Japanese newspapers. Clicking the link of each kanji character will take you to a page where you can learn how to read and write it. If you want to learn more, the next 50 kanji are available at, "Most Frequently Used Kanji (2)". I hope it will be helpful for beginners learning kanji. Learning kanji is probably one of the hardest parts of Japanese, but I think it will become fun once you start to recognize a few characters. "Kanji Land - Grade1" also lists 80 simple and basic kanji characters that are taught in grade 1. You might want to check it out as well. Keep up your kanji studies!
Japanese translation

Comments

March 11, 2010 at 7:05 am
(1) takeah says:

Kanji is very interesting.
American often wear Kanji T-shirt.
The meaning of Kanji on their T-shirt is very strange and difficult to understand for Japanese.
But similarly The meaning of English words of T-shirt which Japanese wear is strange and difficult, too.

March 15, 2010 at 6:58 am
(2) Vicky says:

Doumo arigatou, Namiko-sensei, for your great job!
Sorry, if my question sound silly, but it’s really very interesting for me – how do Japanese children learn kanji?
So, I’ve seen write practice in “Tonari no Totoro”, but how do they learn reading? I mean, may be teacher says something like “水 – kore wa mizu”, because kunyomi is a Japanese word mostly, but how do they learn onyomi, especially if there are many different variants? Or, may be, Japanese children learn writing and reading separately?
Sorry, if I’m wrong with something, and sorry for my English:)

March 15, 2010 at 8:44 am
(3) ching says:

kunnichiwa namiko sensei – san !!! im already done learning hiragana and katakana, as they say after learning this two i try to study kanji i can say its hard ! but it makes more harder on how to used kanji whether should i used on or kun reading ? learning japanese is fun ! arigatou gozaimasu!!!

March 16, 2010 at 6:43 am
(4) ゴードン says:

Very helpful. Thank you!

March 17, 2010 at 12:05 am
(5) Japan Australia says:

Learning Kanji is fun and interesting. Once you get started you can slowly build up the amount of kanji you know and this will make it easier when you learn new kanji as they are quite often related.

March 17, 2010 at 6:45 am
(6) Jayaprakash says:

Konbanwa Sensei.

It is true that Kanji is a nightmare for many foreigners. I did learn Hiragana and Katakana. We can memorize the vocabulary, but memorizing Kanji needs more time and effort. It is a fun if we learn with friends at a younger age. After, say 35 years, Kanji learning is a tiring job. Sensei’s contribution to beginners is a great help. Thanks.

March 17, 2010 at 10:22 am
(7) Steve Smith says:

I’ve been studying Japanese for some time now. For me, reading and writing Japanese are as important as speaking the language.

Recently I noticed recently my vocabulary growing much more rapidly as I started noticing kanji I know in words with other kanji I know.

I find your blog really useful. It’s hard to find articles that are short, interesting, well written and well translated.

Thank You!

March 17, 2010 at 5:54 pm
(8) jen says:

April 15, 2010 at 1:18 am
(9) james Copper says:

i think its hard to learn kanji especially if you have no background on speaking Japanese but i can its fun and educational.

May 17, 2010 at 2:54 am
(10) Darek says:

Pozdrawiam !!!!

May 18, 2010 at 6:19 pm
(11) Bundini says:

Compared to Chinese, Japanese “kanji” is so easy!
So don’t complain!
The Japanese language has a more difficult grammatical structure and a more highly restricted set of honorific and formalized speaking word sets based on social class, age and gender. However this highly organized system is breaking down and is fading away. This is symptomatic of the culture in general. The younger generation is unwilling and unable to maintain the linguistic discipline of their parents. The same applies to their desire to sacrifice and work as an apparent sense of entitlement and self-centeredness can be seen in younger people. Much the same as in the USA. Both countries have reached the apex of their culture and are descending in an ever increasing mood of dissatisfaction.

August 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm
(12) bhr says:

sorry to ask this but I was wondering which reading of the kanji do the japanese use while talking? and how could a non-japanese realize which reading to use to pronounce the words written in kanji? i mean when i see a new word which is using a kanji that I know but i don’t know the meaning of the word how should i pronounce it? or do i have to know every word in order to pronounce it correctly? it is kind of confusing :(

September 11, 2011 at 2:29 pm
(13) Cloud says:

I also have been studying Japanese on my own. I only have the kana down and of course the kanji is quite a feat that has got me kind of down. Like the previous comments I also want to know how to remember the kanji. Kana even with the ten ten was a walk in the park… Please guide us…