1. Education
Namiko Abe

My Last Name

By October 1, 2008

My last name, "Abe", is quite common in Japan. It is ranked 23rd among a hundred thousand Japanese surnames. In North America, I am often called "Abe" like Abraham, but in Japanese it is pronounced as "a-be" with two syllables. There was a Prime Minister Abe a few years ago, though the kanji characters for his name were different from mine. I didn't like my last name much when I was young because it is too ordinary. However, I liked the fact that I was usually the first on the list of names at school. (The Japanese alphabet order goes as "a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko ..., therefore, unless there are names like "Aoki" or "Aihara," "Abe" would be the first. )

Comments

October 1, 2008 at 6:59 pm
(1) seisho says:

what does abe mean?

October 2, 2008 at 3:28 pm
(2) Alex says:

i have searched for it at JDIC and it have a lot of different meanings.

if you want to know here is the link to JDIC:

type in “abe” and select “Search using romanized Japanese”.

Jane.

October 4, 2008 at 3:41 pm
(3) Sharon says:

Wow, your last name and mine are the opposite XD. I’m the only Vizcaino at my school, and I’m always the last one, which is rather annoying…

October 5, 2008 at 10:08 pm
(4) Akiko A. says:

Abe can be written with a few kanji combinations. I don’t know which one Abe-san has her surname in.

My surname is Andou… and the first kanji is the same as the one in ‘Abe’. My surname means ‘peaceful wisteria’… or so I’ve heard.
Lol.

Thanks for teaching Japanese. I’m not that fluent, but I can understand. I just need help writing it and your lessons teach me a lot.

October 6, 2008 at 12:05 am
(5) Shinetrue says:

Japanese translation link is not there?

October 14, 2008 at 4:20 am
(6) Eivind L. Dale says:

How necessary is Kanji when learning Japanese, compared to Hiragana and Kana? I have worked my way through Hiragana and starting on Kana but Kanji still seems like an insurmountable obstacle.

October 17, 2008 at 2:39 pm
(7) Alex says:

How long are you studying japanese?
If you are at the beginning you should skip the kanji until you got some knowledge about japanese grammer, and the vocabs. Otherwise it would be to much stuff to learn at the same time.

If you learn some vocabularies you should watch for the kanji too, but try not to hard to memorize them at the first point (just watch them is enough for the first time). The japanese grammar is the most important thing you should learn first.

I am learning japanese actively for the last 3 months. I use the romaji and the kana for studying. Kanji will come later.

Hope it is helpfull to you.

Jaane.

November 29, 2008 at 7:49 am
(8) miho says:

wow! my japanese teacher’s name at school is abe too!! And i thought it was uncommon because of all the kiritanis, hondas, tanakas, etc!

December 2, 2008 at 10:19 am
(9) mIKA says:

Hi, are you in any way related to Ms Sachiko Abe? I’m studying jap on my own now, using a translation and grammar bk by the abovementioned lecturer. Just here to say thanks loads cos i find your website very useful(:

December 11, 2008 at 4:38 pm
(10) aaron says:

what does chelate mean.i know its a chemical reaction im hoping its more than that

January 31, 2009 at 9:10 am
(11) Shirmyn says:

i want to know what is my japanese name is. i really want to know what is my name. i’m trying to find but i can’t!!!1

January 31, 2009 at 9:13 am
(12) Karen says:

lol. i want to know what is my japanese name. well i love japanese language. i want to learn them but i can’t! i have no time for it.

January 31, 2009 at 9:16 am
(13) lynn says:

well’ i’m learning japanese now. i learn it from internet. it’s fun learning it.and i enjoy and i also love it.

my cousin. she’s good in japanese cause she learn how to speak and write japanese. i’m asking her to teach me. now she’s teaching me. it’s in progress……..

well, when i learn finish i would be so happy!!!!!

May 21, 2009 at 3:34 pm
(14) midna says:

what does ‘greencrow’ mean in japanise

July 18, 2009 at 4:13 pm
(15) real gay incest says:

nice! i’m gonna make my own blog

October 3, 2010 at 4:23 pm
(16) Elizabeth De Azevedo says:

i wonder what De Azevedo is in japanese…it’s hard to find out because it’s not a really coomon name. i already found my first name in japanese, it’s Erizabesu, and it means i’m the boss in the translation. shweet!

May 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm